Since this post isn’t timed very well, I would just post the game review in 5 points. The score was 1-0 through substitute Angel Di Maria’s goal in the 81st minute. Sergio Ramos provided the ball from the right which Di Maria controlled on his chest and slotted home with his left foot. Short pointer views on the game :
- The backline without Carvalho looked dodgy on various occasions. We could have conceded in the first 10 minutes when Casillas charged down and his clearance hit the Auxerre player but luckily it was too quick for him to capitalise on and later in the second half when Pepe could have scored an own goal.
- The starting lineup wasn’t the best in my view. We needed to go out and attack but with Lass, Alonso and Khedira all starting there was bound to be lack of creativity. We saw some changes in movement when Ozil came on and ultimately when Di Maria came on as a substitute.
- Jose Mourinho could have switched the position of Higuain and Benzema, that is, Benzema could have played in the centre and Higuain as a second striker.
- Ronaldo needs to work on playing through the jeers. Although I don’t quite understand why he gets all the jeers everywhere he plays but his performance level drops and it was visible in the latter stages of the first half.
- The neat interplay we saw in the first game versus Ajax was missing completely. It was mainly due to Auxerre’s very well maintained backline but am glad that Di Maria was on hand to capitalise on possibly their one mistake in the game where they allowed our player some space in the box.
Would love to hear your views on what you thought of the starting lineup and the formation we opted for since the beginning?
As things stand, we have 6 points from 2 games and are top of the table. We play AC Milan next on 19th October.